Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Refuge

Riches followed roots
and then he mentioned 'refuge' -
grandfather is long gone
but his stories refuse
to depart from the mansions
of my memory.

A cane chair and his depleting form -
he talked of his homeland, his princedom -
so unreal, thought I.

He couldn't have been a boy,
charming the cows into a deluge.
He was only an old antique of a man,
reliving the days of his refuge.

"And so we escaped, my dear -
we quit what was not to be:
childhood and home and father,
all turned history."

"I lost my all to the Partition;
I quit what was not to be.
But dear, you must know
that my loss set me free."

"They say of us, that we fled
for life and a future,
for adventure, for destiny,
for struggle, for identity."

"True. And I must tell you:
History is just a story -
what matters is the moral,
not the fact."

No comments:

Post a Comment