Thursday, March 20, 2014

Essence

I

I could be anything
and you would always be you-
that's how it was.
That's how it was when I'd met you.

You were 500 grams
of 'love'
in a glass jar that I'd sealed
and placed into my mind,
my mind, a cupboard I'd left ajar.

You were the spice of my life,
for a slice of time.

II

Then a hand inverted the hourglass
and I knew,
I knew I'd kept you there
long enough.

This is when,
baby, I first tasted you.

You were sweet and sour
and cold and hot;
grained, liquid
and what not.

Honey, you could be anything
but I would be me
for an eternity-
'twas how it would be,
I thought.

III

Then I felt you within me.
You'd turned me wet
and dried me;
you'd turned me red
and blue.
You'd tied me
and you'd set me free.
You'd made me you.

We could be anything, hon-
that was how it was
when we became one.

IV

Another rotation,
a turn of time,
and we came apart;
our oneness a past.

Another swirl,
a moment sublime,
and we turned a heart.

V

Being one at the beginning
to being one at last?
Ferried.
Married.
Carried.
This lyrical ebbing and entering,
through a spiral;
this through which we pass...

Sweetheart, can it be
that you and me
are the sand
contained in the hourglass?

No comments:

Post a Comment